What is "INVESTIGATIONS" (TCAPS math curriculum)?
GOALS AND GUIDING PRINCIPLES
Investigations in Number, Data, and Space is a K-5 mathematics curriculum designed to engage students in making sense of mathematical ideas. Six major goals guided the development of this curriculum. The curriculum is designed to
- Support students to make sense of mathematics and learn that they can be mathematical thinkers.
- Focus on computational fluency with whole numbers as a major goal of the elementary grades.
- Provide substantive work in important areas of mathematics - rational numbers, geometry, measurement, data, and early algebra - and connections among them.
- Emphasize reasoning about mathematical ideas.
- Communicate mathematics content and pedagogy to teachers.
- Engage the range of learners in understanding mathematics.